Monday, July 12, 2010

Identify the Pressures

The first step in getting out of the cooker is to take inventory of the pressures you are facing. What are they? I am going to suggest a list, and you decide whether you experience these specific pressures.

  • Many students are struggling in the classroom and cannot seem to learn no matter how many ways I try to present the material.
  • Behavior problems seem to trump instruction, and I spend my time trying to keep order rather than teaching.
  • It seems I am always teaching to the next test rather than actually teaching children.
  • There is too wide a gap in learner ability in my classroom, so I am teaching to the middle and leaving out the brightest and the slowest.
  • There is such competition for scores that my colleagues guard their trade secrets so that there is little sharing of professional knowledge.
  • The administrators are not connected to the real issues in the classroom and have little sympathy for our complaints.
  • I feel very alone in my job and wonder often if I am in the wrong profession.

You may have found that you identify with more than one of these pressurecooker issues. Any one of them could cause significant stress, leading you to wonder if an explosion is imminent. Thankfully, there are answers. I will address many of these issues in the pages of this book. Begin by being honest about the pressures you feel, and together let’s explore some solutions.